Thursday, January 17, 2013

Helping One Another

Joe and Mom at dropzone  Sept '11

"Do, or do not.  There is no try."
- Yoda

On June 1, 2002, Joe and I made tandem jumps over the beautiful rural landscape of Ellington, CT.  A sunset jump into a brilliant, colorful sky with new beginnings for both of us.  Joe would set off for Sacred Heart University a few months later and I would begin training to become a licensed skydiver.  

Ten years later on June 1, 2012, Joe would call me on another sunny summer day to tell me he had incredible abdominal pain. 

With skydiving there is no try.  You either jump out of an airplane or you do not. Skydiving, as crazy of a sport as it may seem,  teaches you one fundamental thing: You are responsible for your own life.  Your own happiness. I am forever grateful to Joe for helping me learn this.

In the photo above, you can see Joe helping me as he fixes the booty of my jumpsuit as part of my gear check in preparation for my jump. As I look around our home, I see all these pictures of Joe with his friends and family. I am struck by how much Joe has helped each of us and loved all of us.

As Joe's illness progressed, we learned to help Joe in new ways. Lots of people continue to help Joe right now with prayers, sending love, and in practical ways, too. 

I like the Yoda quote which begins this entry because I think of Joe. Joe has heart and is a "doer".  You and I know it.  Even at this most challenging time, Joe's spirit and Joe's courage shine, big time.

Yoda, the oldest of the Jedi was one of the most skilled light saber fighters and had a power to be reckoned with...

Love to all,

Doreen

  

5 comments:

TiffanyOfiero124 said...

what a beautiful powerful message! love to all xo

LovezLC said...

Doreen, you are an amazing writer. Your love, energy and strength is unreal at times. Please give Joe and Lisbeth a 'proper' hug from me. It was wonderful to receive this update as well.

Lots of love from across the pond,
Lauren

Mike Masland said...

Great post.

Anonymous said...

Doreen,
The thoughts and prayers of so many are with Joe and your family. Your and amazing person and so is Joe.

Jacqueline Adriano said...

Thank you for your incredible updates of love and life, Dorren. Joe and Lis exemplify your love. So inspiring.

Jackie