Friday, April 19, 2013

Joe's song,"Hush, Baby" to be released May 1st on iTunes!




On January 2, 2013, as we prepared to leave St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport, CT to take my brother, Joe, 28, home to hospice care, the nurses told me I would be riding in the ambulance, too. I would also be responsible for carrying Joe's supply of morphine. A hospice nurse would be waiting at our home in Middlebury with my aunt, ready to set-up Joe's PCA pump with the morphine. During the ride home, an EMT would administer medication as necessary to relieve my brother's incredible pain. We had a plan and we were ready to bring Joe home.

When I learned Joe was going home, I immediately messaged my friend, Olya, to see if she could help. Only a few days earlier, I had written these lyrics for Joe. Olya, a Moscow-born musician, had read my lyrics and agreed to work on making them into a song over the next few weeks. Things had changed. I now needed the song as soon as possible. That night as Olya cried, she created the music and recorded "Hush, Baby." By early morning on January 3, 2013, I had a copy of "Hush, Baby" to play for Joe.

Joe loved his song and said, "Lis, put it on a thumb drive for me, quick!" not realizing that I would never leave his side. Joe passed away peacefully in our home on January 20, 2013.

Joe's death came fast and brutally. On June 15, 2012, he had been diagnosed with Stage IV cholangiocarcinoma, (bile duct cancer). By purchasing Joe's song, "Hush, Baby" on iTunes, you are helping advance cures for all cancer. All net proceeds go directly to the Cancer Research Institute (CRI), the leading organization for new research, vaccines and treatments that seek to eradicate all forms of cancer.

For more information on the Cancer Research Institute (CRI), please visit http://cancerresearch.org.

For siblings and friends who have experienced loss, please visit http://JoesSister.com.

Thank you for reading our blog. I love you, Joe!

Love from Joe's sister, Lis

No comments: